7 Top Tourist Destinations in Jeddah
As the second largest city in Saudi, Jeddah is popularly known as the Bride of the Red Sea and is considered the tourism and economic capital of the country. Jeddah also serves as the commercial hub and gateway for pilgrims traveling to Makkah and Madinah.
You'll be impressed by the wide array of tourist attractions in Jeddah. Ranging from beautiful mosques and picturesque waterfront to luxurious malls and serene beaches, you name it, Jeddah has it.
A trip to Jeddah will be ideal for exploring the residents that embody the lightness and sweetness of the coast. You will have the opportunity to relax and even meditate as you soak up the pure sea air of Jeddah.
Here is a list of places you have to visit in Jeddah:
1. Tour the best Museums in Jeddah
Another great way to observe the red sea coast is to deep dive into the history of Jeddah. The city is also home to incredible art, from historic to modern, fine art to sculptures.
- Nassif House Museum: This architectural landmark has been serving as a cultural museum as it boasts rich antiques that showcase Jeddah’s rich history. The house has gone through numerous renovations and still preserves its architecture.
- Tayebat Museum: This museum is a city in itself, with 150 suites and 365 rooms in an amalgamation of civilization and heritage. It re-creates the traditional Hijazi architecture in the Al Faisaliyah District. The museum's interiors perfectly capture Saudi architecture and gorgeous Islamic art. To take back home with you, you will find the best souvenirs inside the hallway of this museum. The exquisite interiors of the museum make it one of the best tourist attractions in Jeddah.
- Jeddah Open Museum: This open museum in Jeddah along the corniche brings together the world's largest collection of sculptures or statues. This 7-square-kilometre museum features 21 artworks and offers a variety of picnic spots. This place is a perfect sightseeing spot in Jeddah.
- Museum of Art: Museum of Art was once a 5,000-kilometer private residence. It retains a large collection of antiques, luxurious and vintage home furnitures and others. This magnificent collection will make you click tons of pictures, and perhaps you would love to re-visit the museum because of the aesthetics.
2. Visit a heritage recognized by the world
Al Balad, a UNESCO heritage site, reveals a human legacy whose walls faced many historical challenges with eight gates, each with a storied past. Additionally, it is a popular sightseeing spot for tourists because of its outstanding architectural features and the names of their ancient families. Al Balad is located twenty minutes away from Gabel Street Souq and international restaurants. Here, you will get the liveliest pictures.
3. Explore Art Galleries in Jeddah
The art galleries in Jeddah inspire artists from all over the world to spread cultural beauty and the true value of art. Cultural centres and art galleries exhibit works by local artists as well as from other cities in the kingdom and the world. Such artwork can be found all around Jeddah.
- ATHR Gallery: The ATHR gallery sited in the Sairafi Mall complex is the perfect art gallery for people interested in contemporary art. This gallery should unquestionably be your first stop.
The contemporary art scene in the region is frequented by some of the most prominent Saudi and international artists. On your first visit, you will experience the artistic energy expressed in the cultural dialogue between contemporary artists from around the world, through a versatile art space.
- Saudi centre for Fine Arts: To indulge in the artistic culture of Jeddah and learn about the nourishing source of art behind it, one must visit the Saudi Center of fine arts. Satisfy the artist in you by taking one of the courses offered by the centre to engage artists and leaders. Courses include abstract art and oil paints for adults, as well as water, glass, fabric or copper paint for children. This is one of the perfect places in Jeddah to visit with family if you want to keep your child busy with a fun and memorable activity.
- Nesma Art Gallery: This art gallery is one of the best tourist spots in Jeddah, located in the Al Rawda neighbourhood. This gallery displays the work of the best abstract artists from Saudi and from all around the world. In addition, this gallery also displays works of the best photographers in various breathtaking halls.
4. Jeddah Beaches
- North Corniche Stroll: A large part of the North corniche comprises gardens and greens, where residents often sit facing the red sea with their families and friends. Children can enjoy a playground set up for them in designated locations near their families. This is one of the best places to visit in Jeddah with family. The North Corniche offers many service stalls, restaurants, and kiosks. There are a lot of recreational places near the corniche, such as Al Shallal Theme Park, Jeddah Waterfront, and Faqih Aquarium.
- Alhamra Corniche: Also known as Central Corniche, it is famous for having the world's tallest fountain – King Fahd Fountain, which was gifted to the city by the King in 1985. The base of the fountain is in the shape of an essence burner depicting hospitality and a warm welcome to Jeddah. You can explore the hidden tourist attractions in Jeddah on foot and service kiosks, restaurants, and stalls are scattered all along the corniche.
- Obhur Corniche: You'll see the most delicate artefacts on your way to South Obhur. Next to the roundabout is a first-class group of restaurants and cafes in Marina Avenue Mall, and Café Dijon and Kunafa Factory for a french desert experience. This tourist spot in Jeddah is an ideal place for a sea adventurer, where you might be fortunate enough to spot blue dolphins swimming in the sea. In addition, one can also enjoy delectable meals on a ship cruising the Red Sea, Masa Al Ahlam.
5. Jeddah Waterfront
Experience the sun, sea, and sports at the newly developed coastline of Jeddah. This is one of the best sightseeing spots in Jeddah, widely adored by locals and tourists alike.
Whether you are touring alone or with companions, the coastal road is stacked meticulously with Lego pieces, guiding you through an inspirational promenade on foot. You will have the opportunity to relax and even meditate as you soak up the pure sea air of Jeddah.
The waterfront reaches its peak at night. Tourists and locals often choose to visit it after midnight to avoid crowds and experience a morning calm where no sound other than the whisper of sea waves can be heard. This is the time when the magic of Jeddah unfolds as the sea unravels at a moderate temperature. You can also rent brightly coloured light bicycles equipped for individuals or groups.
Famished after a long day at the waterfront? Don't worry, you will find an array of creative Saudi cafes welcoming you with open doors at the waterfront.
Suggested Read: Tourism in Saudi Arabia
6. Jeddah Art Promenade
Relish in an area full of surprises! "The Art Promenade" is a quiet residential neighbourhood by the sea within Jeddah's waterfront, extending to the marina. Experience the excitement of international events with your friends and family. You can simply walk to Jeddah Yacht Club which is only a few minutes away, and also enjoy your favourite drinks at Celsius 95.
Explore freely between the edge-cutting and glitzy details.
You won't feel lonely even if you are a solo traveler in this lively neighbourhood. Also, you can enjoy delicious meals in one of the numerous restaurants scattered around the promenade.
7. Shop and Relax at Jeddah Park
Jeddah Park is a one-stop-shop destination for a unique shopping experience. A dancing fountain greets you at the entrance, showcasing a variety of international brands, including women's and men's clothing from Tommy Hilfiger, Stradivarius, Beverly Hills Polo Club, Zara, Mango, Pull&Bear, Sacoor, Rivers World, Ipekyol, Blooming, and Balmain. In addition, kids' fashion stores have The Children's Place, FG4 Kids, Okaidi, and Adidas Kids, to name but a few.
This is one of the best places to visit in Jeddah with family. While parents enjoy a shopping spree, kids can play and be entertained in Octo City, a world full of laughter, sounds and colourful lights. This theme park organizes live shows of entertainers and Disney characters.
Challenge your buddies to a game of bowling or other entertaining competitions at "Strike 10" for a lot of fun.
Suggested Read: 11 Best Cafes In Riyadh For A Delicious Food Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the popular places to visit in Jeddah for couples?
A1. Following are the popular tourist attractions in Jeddah for couples
- Al Balad
- King Fahd’s Fountainz
- Red Sea Mall
- Floating Mosque
Q2. What is Jeddah popular for?
A2. The second-largest city in Saudi Arabia is Jeddah; it is highly known for having numerous stunning landmarks, a wide variety of art galleries and museums, traditional markets, and other historical sites, including the Floating Museum, the Al Barad, and more.
Q3. Is Jeddah a leisure tourist destination?
Yes, Jeddah is a leisure tourist destination open to visitors from all over the world. Travelers travel to Jeddah to explore the culture of Saudi and experience world class luxury.