Reading about the facts about Colombia often makes a traveler more curious about the country. Some of the most shocking and fun facts about Colombia. Take a look:
• Colombia is the second-most biodiverse country in the world. In fact, the amount of bird species it has is more than all of Europe and North America combined.
• Colombia's name is derived from the last name of the explorer Christopher Columbus.
• The country has more than 4,000 species of orchids and it is one of the largest flower producers in the world.
• Colombia has a law for their national anthem according to which, the national anthem or Himno Nacional de la República de Colombia should be played twice a day. All the TV broadcasts and radio stations play the national anthem once at 6 am and again at 6 pm.
• Medellin used to be known as the murder capital of the world with 17 murders every day in 1991