The most recent Sharjah census conducted in Sharjah was in 2015, which reported a population of around 1.4 million people. However, the population of Sharjah has continued to grow rapidly since then, with estimates indicating that it has now reached around 1.8 million people as of 2021.?
Sharjah is a diverse and cosmopolitan city that is home to people from a range of backgrounds and nationalities and offers a rich cultural experience for both residents and visitors. Here are some key demographic facts about Sharjah:
Nationalities: Sharjah is a diverse city with a large expat population. According to the latest estimates, around 20% of the Sharjah population are Emirati nationals, while the remaining 80% are expatriates from countries such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt, and the Philippines.
Age Distribution: Sharjah has a relatively young population, with a median age of around 32 years. The majority of the population falls in the 25-54 age group.
Gender: The population of Sharjah is evenly split between males and females, with males accounting for around 52% of the population and females accounting for around 48%.
Religion: Islam is the predominant religion in Sharjah, with around 85% of the population being Muslim. The remaining population includes Christians, Hindus, and other religions.
Language: Arabic is the official language of Sharjah, but English is widely spoken and is commonly used in business and commerce.
Education: Sharjah has a high literacy rate, with education being a top priority for the government. There are several universities and colleges in the city, as well as numerous schools that offer education in both English and Arabic.